[FGAddon] Q400 errors
Ludovic Brenta
2017-06-13 23:29:27 UTC
Hello,

Today I tried the Q400 from FGAddon for the first time and the console
emitted these errors:

Starting automatic scenery download/synchronization. Using built-in HTTP support.Directory: '/home/lbrenta/.fgfs/TerraSync'.
Cannot find property-rule configuration file 'Aircraft/Q400/Systems/pfd.xml'.
Cannot find property-rule configuration file 'Aircraft/Q400/Systems/it-autoflight.xml'.
Multiplayer mode active!
Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'swap'
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
Scenesetter is installed and intialising
Bombable (ver. 4.5b) loaded - bombable, weapons, damage, fire, and explosion effects
Bombable: Bombable successfully set up and enabled for multiplayer dogfighting (you can disable Multiplayer Bombable in the Bombable menu)
Cannot find Nasal script 'Aircraft/Q400/Nasal/it-autoflight.nas' for module 'itaf'.
Cannot find Nasal script 'Aircraft/CitationX/Models/Instruments/CDU/Procedures/fmsDB.nas' for module 'procedures'.
Cannot find Nasal script 'Aircraft/CitationX/Models/Instruments/CDU/Procedures/fmsWP.nas' for module 'procedures'.
Cannot find Nasal script 'Aircraft/CitationX/Models/Instruments/CDU/Procedures/fmsTP.nas' for module 'procedures'.
Cannot find Nasal script 'Aircraft/CitationX/Models/Instruments/CDU/Procedures/fmsTransition.nas' for module 'procedures'.
Cannot find Nasal script 'Aircraft/CitationX/Models/Instruments/CDU/DispPages/CduStart.nas' for module 'displaypages'.
Cannot find Nasal script 'Aircraft/CitationX/Models/Instruments/CDU/DispPages/FltPlan.nas' for module 'displaypages'.
Cannot find Nasal script 'Aircraft/CitationX/Models/Instruments/CDU/DispPages/FltList.nas' for module 'displaypages'.
Cannot find Nasal script 'Aircraft/CitationX/Models/Instruments/CDU/DispPages/FltDeparture.nas' for module 'displaypages'.
Cannot find Nasal script 'Aircraft/CitationX/Models/Instruments/CDU/DispPages/FltDestination.nas' for module 'displaypages'.
Cannot find Nasal script 'Aircraft/CitationX/Models/Instruments/CDU/DispPages/NavPages.nas' for module 'displaypages'.
Cannot find Nasal script 'Aircraft/CitationX/Models/Instruments/CDU/DispPages/Performance.nas' for module 'displaypages'.
Cannot find Nasal script 'Aircraft/CitationX/Models/Instruments/CDU/DispPages/Progress.nas' for module 'displaypages'.
Failed to find a parking at airport WX37:Custom_Startup_Location
Flight Director ...Check
Electrical System ... ok
systems loaded
Nasal runtime error: undefined symbol: itaf
at /home/lbrenta/.fgfs/Aircraft/Q400/Nasal/systems.nas, line 392
called from: /usr/share/games/flightgear/Nasal/globals.nas, line 119
Model load Nimitz /ai/models/carrier
Model load Nimitz /ai/models/carrier[1]
Nasal runtime error: bad/missing argument to left()
at /home/lbrenta/.fgfs/Aircraft/Q400/Nasal/Flightdirector.nas, line 463
called from: /home/lbrenta/.fgfs/Aircraft/Q400/Nasal/Flightdirector.nas, line 568
Nasal runtime error: undefined symbol: displaypages
at /home/lbrenta/.fgfs/Aircraft/Q400/Models/panels/CDU/CDU.nas, line 1062

Ludovic Brenta.
James Turner
2017-06-14 15:04:12 UTC
Post by Ludovic Brenta
Today I tried the Q400 from FGAddon for the first time and the console
Ouch, looks like some nasty cross-dependencies there. Who was the original author / contributor? I feel like I saw a Q400 on the forums in the past six months, but no idea if it was a fork of this one or ‘something else'

Kind regards,
James
Thorsten Renk
2017-06-20 05:56:51 UTC
It seems the Q400 contains out of plane references of the avionics... I've
tried to fix them, but they refer to a version of the CitationX which
isn't actually on our repository (possible licensing issues?).

Needs attention by the maintainer, this is beyond routine fixing
unfortunately.

* Thorsten
James Turner
2017-06-20 07:51:27 UTC
It seems the Q400 contains out of plane references of the avionics... I've tried to fix them, but they refer to a version of the CitationX which isn't actually on our repository (possible licensing issues?).
Needs attention by the maintainer, this is beyond routine fixing unfortunately.
That’s unfortunate, thanks for taking the time to check.

Kind regards,
James
Thorsten Renk
2017-06-21 05:30:03 UTC
That’s unfortunate, thanks for taking the time to check.
Random thought - would it be a bad idea to introduce a metadata tag
'needs-maintenance' or so which we could temporarily assign to aircraft
which do not work properly? They could be de-listed from the launcher by
default and specifically searched for by tag - and once maintenance is
done, the tag can be removed.

* Thorsten
James Turner
2017-06-21 07:54:38 UTC
Random thought - would it be a bad idea to introduce a metadata tag 'needs-maintenance' or so which we could temporarily assign to aircraft which do not work properly? They could be de-listed from the launcher by default and specifically searched for by tag - and once maintenance is done, the tag can be removed.
In principle, absolutely, yes.

I’ve tended to pass information to the catalog system using other properties but there’s no reason tags can’t carry information this way.

Do you think the exclusion should be at the catalog generation level (easier to change the code, but makes the download unavailable) or in the client side? (I would add a checkbox to the ‘edit filters’ dialog saying something like:

‘[x] hide aircraft known to have problems with this version of FlightGear’

Kind regards,
James
Thorsten Renk
2017-06-21 09:10:30 UTC
Post by James Turner
Do you think the exclusion should be at the catalog generation level
(easier to change the code, but makes the download unavailable) or in
the client side? (I would add a checkbox to the ‘edit filters’ dialog
I guess it's okay to have the download unavailable, because people who
would want to fix problem are probably better served with an SVN checkout.
On the other hand, Erik is going to argue he wants incomplete work shown
to attract developers...

It'd also be nice to be able to display a list of aircraft parked for
maintenance easily.

Admittedly I haven't thought this out in any great detail yet.

* Thorsten
Erik Hofman
2017-06-21 10:00:01 UTC
Post by Thorsten Renk
Post by James Turner
Do you think the exclusion should be at the catalog generation level
(easier to change the code, but makes the download unavailable) or in
the client side? (I would add a checkbox to the ‘edit filters’ dialog
I guess it's okay to have the download unavailable, because people who
would want to fix problem are probably better served with an SVN
checkout. On the other hand, Erik is going to argue he wants incomplete
work shown to attract developers...
It'd also be nice to be able to display a list of aircraft parked for
maintenance easily.
Admittedly I haven't thought this out in any great detail yet.
Showing some aircraft is broken is fine. Hiding is a step too far since
it will be hidden for future maintainers too.

Erik
http://www.adalin.com - High performance virtual reality audio software.
James Turner
2017-06-21 10:23:04 UTC
I guess it's okay to have the download unavailable, because people who would want to fix problem are probably better served with an SVN checkout. On the other hand, Erik is going to argue he wants incomplete work shown to attract developers...
It'd also be nice to be able to display a list of aircraft parked for maintenance easily.
Admittedly I haven't thought this out in any great detail yet.
Showing some aircraft is broken is fine. Hiding is a step too far since it will be hidden for future maintainers too.
My suggestion on this, taking into account some proposed tweaks I am planning:

- add the tag as you said

- I am planning to add a

/sim/aircraft/minimum-flightgear-version = 2017.1.0 (or 2016.4 or whatever)

These will enable the launcher to show good feedback, without hiding / removing anything, or give us the option to set default filtering as we decide, but in a way that’s easy to adjust.

there is a third piece:

- ensure the launcher’s ‘search’ mode shows all results (i.e no filtering) but that incompatible aircraft are clearly marked, eg with a ‘!’ symbol and text saying ‘this aircraft needs some maintenance’ or ‘this aircraft is not designed for use with your current FG version, please update to NNNN.N.N’

All of these would be advisory in the launcher, if running from the command line you can do what you please, we’ll just log an alert message to the console + logs.

This would solve a number of recently discussed issues, and I hope keep Erik happy, because if you search for an aircraft, you find it, and might discover that it needs maintenance. The descriptive text can link to a wiki / web page giving some introductions on how to start contributing to aircraft development.

How does this sound?

Kind regards,
James
Erik Hofman
2017-06-21 11:03:22 UTC
Post by James Turner
[...]
Sounds good, you might even want to change the text to:
"This aircraft is looking for a new maintainer".

Erik
http://www.adalin.com - High performance virtual reality audio software.
Thorsten Renk
2017-06-21 14:49:33 UTC
Post by James Turner
How does this sound?
Sounds good to me.

* Thorsten
legoboyvdlp R
2017-06-21 10:27:45 UTC
Hi there,
I just notified D-ECHO privately of these issues with his Q400, and he is
presently fixing them. I have also fixed an electric bug in it, and
submitted the files to him. I trust that he will submit these updates to
FGADDON as soon as he is able.

Jonathan.
James Turner
2017-06-21 10:47:08 UTC
I just notified D-ECHO privately of these issues with his Q400, and he is presently fixing them. I have also fixed an electric bug in it, and submitted the files to him. I trust that he will submit these updates to FGADDON as soon as he is able.
Excellent, thank you!

Kind regards,
James
Erik Hofman
2017-06-21 11:04:08 UTC
Post by legoboyvdlp R
Hi there,
I just notified D-ECHO privately of these issues with his Q400, and he
is presently fixing them. I have also fixed an electric bug in it, and
submitted the files to him. I trust that he will submit these updates to
FGADDON as soon as he is able.
Even better. Thanks.

Erik
http://www.adalin.com - High performance virtual reality audio software.
w***@gmail.com
2017-06-21 16:21:21 UTC
Post by James Turner
Do you think the exclusion should be at the catalog generation level (easier
to change the code, but makes the download unavailable) or in the client
side? (I would add a checkbox to the ‘edit filters’ dialog saying something
i would do it client side...
Post by James Turner
‘[x] hide aircraft known to have problems with this version of FlightGear’
exactly for this so that the user can make their own decision ;)
Under Cover
2017-06-21 13:26:37 UTC
Post by legoboyvdlp R
Hi there,
I just notified D-ECHO privately of these issues with his Q400, and he
is presently fixing them. I have also fixed an electric bug in it, and
submitted the files to him. I trust that he will submit these updates to
FGADDON as soon as he is able.
Thank you for writing to the list, I didn't have time yesterday.
In my last two commits I fixed the errors and added some features as
well as new liveries by legoboy, feedback whether it's working for you
now is highly appreciated!
Regards
D-ECHO
Thorsten Renk
2017-06-21 17:51:31 UTC
Still issues...

Nasal runtime error: undefined symbol: engines
at /home/fgfs/FGAddon/Aircraft/Q400/Nasal/systems.nas, line 507
called from: /home/fgfs/FGAddon/Aircraft/Q400/Nasal/systems.nas, line 454
called from: /home/fgfs/fgdata/Nasal/globals.nas, line 119

seems to be a missing quotation mark in the string passed to interpolate
command above, however fixing that still doesn't start the engines for me.

loadxml: Failed to open file
at /home/fgfs/fgdata/Nasal/canvas/wxr_api.xml

We don't have such a file on FGData:

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fgdata/ci/next/tree/Nasal/canvas/

* Thorsten