Fwd: [flightgear:codetickets] #1975 Too many objects at KBOS
James Turner
2017-06-30 12:20:34 UTC
Another one, someone could potentially respond too - we used have some throttling options but I think unless the objects are in LOD nodes, excluding them will be tricky.

Kind regards,
James
Subject: [flightgear:codetickets] #1975 Too many objects at KBOS
Date: 29 June 2017 at 15:49:00 BST
[codetickets:#1975] <https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/codetickets/1975/> Too many objects at KBOS
Milestone: 2016.3
Created: Thu Jun 29, 2017 02:48 PM UTC by Huntley Palmer
Last Updated: Thu Jun 29, 2017 02:48 PM UTC
Owner: nobody
AMD_x64, NVidia 750Ti (2GBy ) 4GBy ram.
Sure, small RAM but I bought and installed 8GBy RAM ( unstable, no BIOS timing controls ) but the problem remained, as soon as KBOS terminals come into view the sim stops for upwards of four seconds. There have been pleas, before, for some kind of throttle so that the user can limit the number of objects seen but I can't find
any way to limit the absurd number of little people, handacrts, firetrucks, FedEx vans and whatever littering the apron.
Please provide some method for the average user to temper the scenery creator's evident enthusiasm.
Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/codetickets/1975/ <https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/codetickets/1975/>
Catalanoic
2017-06-30 13:07:55 UTC
I've fewer hardware settings that you have and i haven't noted that
behaviour you described, just time to get all objects loaded, that means
some seconds looking 360º at first time, but later work perfectly smooth
and FPS friendly, tested with heavy OSM buildings+road traffic effect too
and is still playable at low altitude with a high developed aircraft or
heli. Maybe the problem is out of FG in your case but you need to
understand KBOS in FG actually is high developed enough to compete with
payware addons that just run well on top-hardwares with performance issues.
To understand exactly your issue you need to provide more info, like FG
version, FG config, hardware bottlenecks like CPU and HDD, parallel running
applications, etc..
Adrià
Stuart Buchanan
2017-07-02 21:17:48 UTC
Hi All, (cross-posted to the bug tracker)
Post by James Turner
Another one, someone could potentially respond too - we used have some
throttling options but I think unless the objects are in LOD nodes,
excluding them will be tricky.
The throttling option still exists, in that we're using PagedLOD nodes for all
OBJECT_STATIC items, and the range is controllable using the /sim/static-lod
properties

However, the objects will still be loaded when they get in range.
Offering the option to
disable loading of smaller objects is something on my TODO list, but needs
synchonization with terrasync data.

-Stuart