"Generic" protocol and binary constants
David Megginson
2017-07-03 16:31:39 UTC
Is there any way to insert binary constants into a generic-protocol
definition? The wiki allows a constant in <format> for text protocols, but
I don't see any equivalent for binary. I need to insert both single-byte
constants and integer constants into the *middle* of the record.

Thanks, David
Oliver Kroth
2017-07-04 05:43:45 UTC
Post by David Megginson
Is there any way to insert binary constants into a generic-protocol
definition? The wiki allows a constant in <format> for text protocols,
but I don't see any equivalent for binary. I need to insert both
single-byte constants and integer constants into the /middle/ of the
record.
Thanks, David
Hi,

what about setting the constant somewhere into the property tree and
refer to them as pseudo-variables?
Oliver
Oliver Kroth

Oliver
Erik Hofman
2017-07-04 07:30:45 UTC
Post by Oliver Kroth
Post by David Megginson
Is there any way to insert binary constants into a generic-protocol
definition? The wiki allows a constant in <format> for text protocols,
but I don't see any equivalent for binary. I need to insert both
single-byte constants and integer constants into the /middle/ of the
record.
what about setting the constant somewhere into the property tree and
refer to them as pseudo-variables?
This looks like a good idea. I don't see any other option without
changing the code.

Erik
http://www.adalin.com - High performance virtual reality audio software.
David Megginson
2017-07-04 11:35:39 UTC
Thanks. I was hoping to implement the X-Plane UDP protocol, which several
mobile aviation apps support for practice flying, but it looks like I can't
do that in a reusable way without code changes (at which point I might as
well just implement the whole thing in C++).

I did manage to use --generic to supoort the simple ForeFlight protocol
(which Garmin Pilot also uses), but those are both expensive pay-to-play
apps, so they probably won't appeal to most sim pilots.

Cheers, David
geneb
2017-07-04 14:45:26 UTC
Post by David Megginson
Thanks. I was hoping to implement the X-Plane UDP protocol, which several
mobile aviation apps support for practice flying, but it looks like I can't
do that in a reusable way without code changes (at which point I might as
well just implement the whole thing in C++).
It would be a huge benefit to cockpit builders if FG were to implement the
SimConnect infrastructure in FlightGear. There's plenty of open source
client code out there that would provide enough information to create the
server side in FG. A translation table between property trees could be
constructed fairly easily.

g.
--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
Some people collect things for a hobby. Geeks collect hobbies.

David Megginson
2017-07-04 14:56:28 UTC
FWIW, here are the generic protocols I implemented for ForeFlight's sim
integration (also supported by Garmin Pilot). The XATT one isn't fully
working in Garmin Pilot (I've checked that the output is correct by sending
it to a file), so I'd be grateful if anyone with an iOS device could try it
in ForeFlight. The XGPS one is working flawlessly in Garmin Pilot on
Android.

Cheers, David
Erik Hofman
2017-07-05 07:04:48 UTC
Post by David Megginson
here are the generic protocols I implemented for ForeFlight's sim
integration (also supported by Garmin Pilot). The XATT one isn't fully
working in Garmin Pilot (I've checked that the output is correct by
sending it to a file), so I'd be grateful if anyone with an iOS device
could try it in ForeFlight. The XGPS one is working flawlessly in Garmin
Pilot on Android.
I've committed these to FGData. Thanks!

Erik
http://www.adalin.com - High performance virtual reality audio software.
David Megginson
2017-07-05 12:52:00 UTC
Thanks, Erik! I can get rid of my copies shadowing them, then.

I've sent a message to Garmin technical support to see why the AHRS data
(XATT) is recognised but not processed correctly. It may just be a
limitation in their sim interface.

Cheers, David